I say this everytime, but I think THESE are my best tacos yet! I keep it very simple with only a few ingredients, but these are just so delicious you won’t want to share. But speaking of sharing, these are a great appetizer for a party or if you’re hosting a taco tuesday or mexican themed party. Street size tacos are my favorite because they are 2-3 bites so you can eat more of them! I also think it yields the best ratio for tortilla to filling to toppings without being too much or falling apart. Larger sized tacos don’t hold well by the last few bites because all the sauces have soaked through to make the tortilla soggy. The steak in these is so moist and tender so if you want to keep it simple with minimal toppings, the flavor will still be phenomenal! Taco tuesday is just around the corner so grab all the ingredients to make these for the most wonderful taco night!
For the Filling:
- 1 Lb Flank Steak, Cut in to ~1/4-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 Cup Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Lime, Juiced
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, Diced
- 1/2 Cup Cotija Cheese, Crumbled
- 24-28 Corn Tortillas, Street Taco Size
- 2 Limes, Quartered (For Serving)
- Optional Toppings: Crema or Sour Cream, Avocado, Salsa, Hot Sauce, Jalapenos
- Makes: 12-14 Street Sized Tacos
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flank steak, minced garlic, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, lime juice, red enchilada sauce, salt and pepper and mix well until evenly coated. Set aside and let marinate for 10 minutes while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- Prep the cilantro, onion, and any other toppings you are going to use.
- Once the steak has been marinating for 10 minutes, heat a large pan over medium heat and add the oil. Once hot add the 1/2 of the diced yellow onion (the other half will be for topping the tacos) and cook for 5 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Increase the heat to high and add the steak. Cook on high for 8 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- While the steak cooks, heat up the tortillas. You can either do this on the stove top, or you can wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for 15-20 seconds. *If using the paper towel method, do it in batches of 6-8 tortillas at a time.
- Once the steak is done and the tortillas warmed, it is time to assemble the tacos. Take two tortillas and stack them on top of each other. Add 1-2 spoonfuls of the steak then top with diced onions, cilantro, cotija and any additional toppings you want. Repeat this step until all the filling has been used.
- Serve the tacos with lime wedges and enjoy!
6 thoughts on “Flank Steak Street Tacos”