This recipe is goals. It is perfect for any occasion and any season if you ask me. It is light and bright, which is perfect for the summer; but can also be hearty and warm, which is great for the winter! Tomatoes are always delicious, but these blistered tomatoes are really on a whole new level – combined with the basil, garlic, and olive oil they produce a delicious sauce when they start to pop in the oven! This is a super simple and quick recipe to throw together for a party or just a snack. The ricotta adds a delicious creaminess with a soft flavor. Fun fact about me (not this recipe), but I actually hated tomatoes growing up – I think it was a texture thing, but I always refused to eat them and my mom had a very hard time believing that I actually didn’t like them, so she would always make me eat them! As I got older, I learned to appreciate tomatoes more and grew to love them so much!
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp Basil, Chopped
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 6 Whole Garlic Cloves
- 2 Cups Ricotta
- 1 Baguette
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- Serves: 6-8
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In an oven safe dish, add the tomatoes, basil, and olive oil. Grate the garlic cloves on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix to combine well.
- Place the tomatoes in the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes until the tomatoes start bursting.
- While the tomatoes roast, let’s prep everything else! Start by slicing the baguette in to ~1/4″ – 1/3″ slices. *you want them to be thin enough that they get crispy, but still thick enough to hold the toppings*
- Toast the baguette slices – either on a sheet pan in the oven, in a toaster oven, or on the stove top. My preferred method is in a large pan on a stove top – for that, add a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes. *repeat until all the baguette has been toasted!*
- Last step before assembly is to make the ricotta – in a bowl, add the ricotta and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste – mix together well and set aside.
- Once all the components are ready, let’s assemble! Take a baguette slice, add a spoonful of ricotta and spread evenly then top with a spoonful of the blistered tomatoes and sauce! Repeat until all the baguette has been used and serve!