Who doesn’t love a good BLT – it is such a classic and so simple, yet something about the flavors is so good. I am not sure if it is nostalgia that makes a BLT so delicious or the fact that really anything with bacon is bound to taste amazing. Either way, I love a good BLT! I thought it would be fun to make a twist on the BLT and make it in to a yummy salad! It still has all your classic ingredients – bacon, lettuce and tomatoes – as well as garlic sourdough croutons and a smokey, spicy blackened ranch dressing! The blackened ranch really adds another layer of flavors and depth to this dish that works really well together. This is great for a light lunch or when you want to eat more vegetables in your diet – although this is full of bacon, its counteracted by all the lettuce, right? haha..probably not exactly how that works but this salad is delicious and not boring at all.
- 2 Heads Romaine, rinsed and dried
- 8 Slices Bacon
- 2 Cups Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 3 Slices Sourdough Bread (or baguette, you want a thick slice to make the croutons)
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
For the Dressing:
- 1 Cup Ranch, I used Hidden Valley
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Serves: 2-3
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Assembly Time: 5 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 4oo degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a baking sheet, lay the bacon flat, making sure not to overlap and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes. Check at the 12 minutes mark to see how crispy the bacon is and add more time in increments of 2 minutes to ensure it does not burn. Once done, transfer the bacon to a paper towel to absorb excess grease. *you can make the bacon on the stovetop as well in a pan, you will have to do it in batches.
- While the bacon is cooking, slice the bread in to ~1″ cubes.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the olive oil, garlic, and bread you just sliced. Toss to coat the bread in olive oil and cook for 10-15 minutes until the bread is toasted for your croutons. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Now to make the dressing before assembling – in a bowl mix together the ranch and seasonings until fully combined.
- Chop the romaine and bacon and add to a large mixing bowl. Add in the cherry tomatoes and pour in half of the dressing and mix well until the lettuce is fully coated – add more dressing if the salad is too dry.
- Divide the salad between the two plates and top with croutons and drizzle with more dressing. Serve and enjoy!
6 thoughts on “BLT Salad with Blackened Ranch Dressing”