I have been really in to fusion dishes lately and trying to explore different flavor profiles to create unique dishes. This one is inspired by mexican and asian flavors and ingredients. The base uses a tostada and black beans, which are typical in mexican dishes. The short ribs are then braised in soy sauce, rice vinegar, and miso (among other ingredients) which are found mostly in asian dishes. I then top it off with pickled carrots, radishes, jalapeños, spicy mayo and lime crema. Sounds like a lot going on in one plate, and it definitely is, but these flavors manage to work together and compliment each other perfectly! You’ve got spicy, sweet, crunchy, soft, acidic, creamy – really everything. Give this fusion dish a try and let me know your thoughts!
For the Short Ribs:
- 4 Short Ribs
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1.5 Cups Soy Sauce
- 2.5 Cups Beef Broth
- 1/4 Cup Rice Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 3 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha
- 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
For the Pickled Carrots:
- 1/2 Cup White Vinegar
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Carrots, thinly sliced
For the Pickled Radish:
- 1/2 Cute White Vinegar
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Radish, thinly sliced
- 4 Tostadas
- 1-2 Cups Black Beans
- 3 Tbsp Cilantro, Minced
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions, Diced
- 2 Jalapeños, Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2-3 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Limes, Juiced
- For maximum flavor, the pickled radish and carrots need to be made at least 8 hours in advance – bring the water to a boil and add the 1 cup of water, 2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar and the carrots to a 12oz mason jar. Secure with a li and gently shake to dissolve the sugar – place in the fridge. Repeat this with the ingredients for the radishes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the brown sugar, beef broth, rice vinegar, fish sauce, miso paste, sesame oil, 2 tbsp sriracha and whisk together.
- In a dutch oven (or large, deep pot) heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, sear the short ribs on all sides (about 2 minutes per side).
- When the short ribs are seared, add in the sauce mixture you made and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 3-4 hours, checking about every hour to rotate the meat.
- Once the meat is cooked, remove the bones and shred, then put back in the sauce until you are ready to assemble.
- Heat the black beans in a small pot over low heat – you just want to get them hot for serving.
- Combine the mayonnaise and 2 tbsp sriracha in a bowl to make the spicy mayo – if you want it spicier, add more sriracha. Set aside until assembly.
- Combine the sour cream and lime juice in another small bowl for the lime crema and set aside.
- Once everything is ready to go, it is time for assembly!
- Take a tostada, and add a scoop of black beans on top.
- Next, add a generous helping of meat.
- Then top with the pickled radish, pickled carrots, cilantro, green onions, and jalapeños.
- Finally, drizzle over the spicy mayo and lime crema for the finishing touches.
- Repeat steps 10-13 to assemble all the tostadas, serve and enjoy!