Perfect for a cold night when you want something warm and semi-healthy! Although I have this labeled as a soup, this is very hearty and thick – almost more of a stew than a soup, but equally delicious. This is packed full of vegetables and flavor. The curry powder adds a subtle flavor, but still manages to come through. The sweet potatoes add a hint of sweetness that comes through delicately.
To make this vegetarian friendly, omit the chicken breasts and swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth!
- 1lb Chicken Breast
- 3 Small Sweet Potatoes, Diced
- 1 Can Coconut Cream
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth, or Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 3 Tbsp Red Curry Powder
- 3 Tbsp Balti Curry Powder
- 1 Cup Jasmine Rice
- 2 Cups Peas
- Serves: 4-6
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- Heat a large pot/dutch oven over medium heat and add in the chicken (or vegetable) broth.
- Add in the can of coconut milk and whisk until it is fully melted and incorporated.
- Add in the minced garlic, tomato paste, red curry powder and baltic curry powder. Whisk until mixed well.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once it begins boiling, add in the sweet potatoes and peas.
- Next add in the rice and give it a quick stir so the rice is evenly distributed – this will prevent clumping while cooking.
- Lastly, add in the chicken breasts. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 25 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are softened and the chicken cooked through and tender.
- Turn off the heat. Remove the chicken and place it in a separate bowl to shred.
- Shred the chicken and add back to the soup. Stir again so evenly incorporate the chicken.
- Serve and enjoy!