This recipe is soooo good! Its crunchy, creamy, spicy, and salty all in one. It also comes together in under 30 minutes, so it is a quick, healthy, and delicious recipe for a busy night. Its packed full of protein from the shrimp and the beans, so you can rest assured that you’ll be eating something full of nutrients that will leave you satisfied! It is perfect when you’re in the mood for some Mexican food but not wanting to feel tired and sluggish afterwards because we all know how easy it is to go too hard on chips and queso! I went with simple toppings for mine – avocado, cheese, and the crema; but feel free to get more creative and add diced onions, jalapeños, lettuce, diced tomatoes – really anything your heart (or stomach) desires! The key here are the black beans and the shrimp. The seasoning I use for the shrimp I purchased at Whole Foods – but if you don’t have a Whole Foods near you or don’t want to make a special trip, don’t worry you can substitute with regular taco seasoning + 2oz tequila + 1/4 cup lime juice – the alcohol will cook off, but this will give you similar flavors!
- 1lb Shrimp, cleaned
- 1 Can Whole Black Beans, do not drain or rinse – you need the liquid
- 2 Tbsp Tequila Lime Seasoning, purchased at Whole Foods
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Lime, Juiced
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- 4 Tostadas
- Optional Toppings: Avocado, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Diced Onion, Hot Sauce
Avocado Lime Crema:
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/4 Cup Mayo
- 1 Lime, Zested and Juiced
- Makes: 4 Tostadas
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 25 Minutes
- Heat a medium pot over low heat and add the beans.
- Add in the cumin, salt, and pepper and stir until well combined. Cover and allow the beans to simmer until ready to assemble. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Make the crema – in a food processor (or blender) – add together the sour cream, mayo, lime juice, lime zest and avocado. Blend together until smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Once heated, add in the shrimp, tequila seasoning, and lime juice. Stir so the shrimp is well coated.
- Cook the shrimp for 5-7 minutes until they are cooked through. Once cooked, remove from heat.
- Now time to assemble the tostada!
- Take 1 tostada and add a large spoonful of beans – spread the beans so there is an even layer on the tostada.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the beans.
- Add on the shrimp and any other toppings you want!
- Lastly, top with a generous dollop of the crema.
- Repeat steps 8-11 until all the tostadas are assembled. Serve and Enjoy!