These tacos are crispy and amazing and 100% vegetarian! I made these in an air fryer, but you could easily make them by baking them in the oven or frying them in oil on the stovetop! These are filled with sweet potatoes and black beans for a wonderful combination that is slightly sweet. I made a creamy lime crema to go along with the tacos for a little punch of acidity! These are great for an appetizer or party because they are easy to make in large batches and are great finger foods! But they also make a great dinner or lunch that can easily be shared…or not, no judgement here! These may seem like they require a lot of work, but they are actually pretty simple and easy to make! Try these for your next Taco Tuesday or party!
- 2 Small Sweet Potatoes, Diced
- 2 Tbsp Cumin, Divided
- 2 Tsp Salt, Divided
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Lime, Juiced
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 2 Cups Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- 20 Corn Tortillas, Street Taco Style
For the Lime Crema:
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Mayo
- 1 Lime Zested and Juiced
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the sweet potatoes on a sheet pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tbsp cumin and juice of 1/2 a lime. Mix together so the sweet potatoes are well coated.
- Place them in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, or until they are soft.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, get the beans ready.
- Add the black beans to a large pot and heat over low heat.
- Add in 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp cumin, and 1/2 tsp pepper and stir to mix well. Cover and allow the beans to simmer until ready to assemble.
- Now let’s make the crema! Add the sour cream to a medium bowl.
- Add in the mayo, lime zest and lime juice and whisk together.
- Once the sweet potatoes are finished cooking, its time to assemble.
- (this next step might sound odd, but trust must it’ll help the tacos from cracking). Dampen a few paper towels and wrap 4 corn tortillas in them – you will need to do this in batches. Pop them in the microwave for 30-45 seconds to warm them – they become more flexible when they are heated and the damp towels help keep the moisture to prevent them from drying out.
- Take 1 corn tortilla and place a spoonful of black beans on one side.
- Top with a spoonful of sweet potatoes.
- Top the potatoes with a handful of cheese.
- Fold the tortilla over the filling.
- Repeat steps 12-15 until all the tacos are made.
- Place in the air fryer on 350 degrees for 5 minutes and then flip and place back in for another 5 minutes until the tacos are nice and crispy!
- Serve with the Lime Crema and enjoy!
8 thoughts on “Sweet Potato + Black Bean Crispy Tacos”