This is a twist on the classic chicken marsala but is way more delicious in my opinion. It took me a few attempts to get this recipe just right – they first I used spaghetti noodles and it just didn’t work well – the noodles almost soaked up all of the creamy, mushroomy sauce. Initially I also didn’t coat and pan fry the chicken, but this really turned the dish up a notch and didn’t take much more time to do. This dish was like a warm hug on a cold night and I couldn’t get enough of it. This dish has all the classics – mushrooms, marsala wine, and of course chicken, just a fun twist! The breaded and pan fried chicken really makes this dish – I love the crispness that comes through and pairs perfectly with the soft mushrooms and creamy sauce. I could definitely eat this pasta every day because although it is a pasta dish, it still is light and fresh! Since there are a lot of heavier components in this dish – I do like to add a bit of lemon juice to brighten it up. I add my lemon juice directly to the sauce, but I also like to squeeze a bit on top just before serving! Try this dish out if you want an easy, lazy recipe for a date night at home or when you want to treat yourself without spending the big bucks at a restaurant!
For the Pasta:
- 1 Lb Farfalle
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Shallots, Diced
- 5 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Cup Marsala Wine
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1 Lemon, Juiced
- 16 Oz Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tsp Cornstarch + 2 Tbsp Chicken Stock or Broth
- Salt + Pepper, To Taste
- 2 Tbsp Parsley, Chopped
For the Chicken:
- 4 Chicken Cutlets
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs
- Salt + Pepper, To Taste
- Oil, For Frying
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
To Make the Pasta:
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil.
- While you wait for the water to boil, heat a large pan over medium heat and add in the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the shallots and cook for 5 minutes. Then add in the minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Next, add in the marsala wine and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Once simmering cook for 8-10 minutes to reduce the wine.
- Then, add in the lemon juice and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper (about 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper). Cook the mushrooms for 10 minutes.
- At this point, the water should be boiling – add in the farfalle and cook for 6-8 minutes, until the pasta is al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, let’s finish off the sauce. In the pan, add the heavy cream and sour cream and stir well to combine. Next add in the cornstarch + chicken broth mix and continue cooking on medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Once the pasta is finished, drain and add the pasta to the sauce. Stir to combine well – turn off and remove from the heat.
- Divide between 4 bowls and top with the parsley.
To Make the Chicken:
- Grab 3 separate bowls for coating the chicken. In bowl #1 add the flour and season with salt and pepper – stir to combine. In bowl #2 add the two eggs and whisk well. In bowl #3 add the breadcrumbs, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper – stir to combine.
- Take 1 chicken cutlet and coat completely in the flour. Shake off any excess flour and coat completely with egg. Next, completely coat the chicken with the breadcrumbs – gently pressing to make sure they are stuck to the chicken. Gently shake off any excess breadcrumbs and transfer to a plate. Repeat this step for all the chicken.
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium to high heat and add in enough oil to coat the bottom. Once hot, add the chicken cutlets (*make sure you do not overcrowd the pan or they will not cook evenly, you will need to do this in batches depending on size of your pan). Cook the chicken for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, flip and reduce the heat to low-medium and continue cooking chicken for another 8-10 minutes until cooked through (*you want the chicken to reach 165 degrees fahrenheit internal temperature). Repeat this step to cook all the chicken.
- Once the chicken is done, transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice the chicken and top each pasta bowl with chicken and finish it off with additional parsley.