So I have to admit, these were too good that I devoured them before I could take many pictures! I tried to resist, but the caramelized onions and BBQ sauce with the gouda cheese are too good of a combination that it was calling my name! These were absolutely delicious, my husband even ate 3 of them! The burgers themselves were juicy and full of flavor, that they were delicious even without anything else on them! The gouda adds a nice smokiness and melty cheese pull, that is really the only reason we all love cheese so much…gotta have that stringy, insta worth pull! I buy my gouda in a block and shred it myself, it melts much better when its shredded. The BBQ sauce complements the gouda with a sweet tang. And finally, the caramelized onions add great texture and sweetness with a rich flavor from the caramelization. You can opt for regular buns for these, but the pretzel buns really bring all the flavors together for the perfect combination!
- 1lb 85/15 Ground Beef
- 1 Onion, Sliced
- 1 1/2 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/3 Cup BBQ Sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Basil
- 1/2 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Cup Shredded Gouda
- 8 Pretzel Buns
- Optional Toppings: Mayonnaise, Pickles, Lettuce, Tomato, Ketchup, Mustard
- Makes: 8 Sliders
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total TIme: 35 Minutes
- Make the caramelized onions first. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil.
- Add the onions and sauté for 15-20 minutes until they get a deep caramelized color. Make sure to stir occasionally so they don’t burn.
- While the onions are cooking, make and shape the burgers.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add in the beef, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, BBQ sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well too combine.
- Shape in to 8 patties.
- Once the onions are done, remove from the heat and set aside until ready to serve.
- To cook the burgers- heat a large pan over medium-high heat. The burgers have enough fat in them that you do not need to add any oil.
- Add the burgers to the pan (do this in batches to not overcrowd, I cooked 4 at a time) and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip and cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the gouda cheese on top. Cover and melt the cheese for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the burgers from the pan and get ready to assemble!
- Take the bottom of the pretzel bun and add a generous spoonful of BBQ sauce.
- Next add some caramelized onions.
- Then top with a burger patty and then the top bun! Serve and Enjoy!