Sometimes you want a big steak and other time you want a sandwich – this combines best of both worlds! You’ve got a crunchy sourdough bread, with a layer of spicy horseradish, juicy tomatoes, salty cheese and tender steak. Seriously, its incredible. The horseradish aioli has just enough horseradish to give it a good kick, but not too much that you burn your tongue off. I’ve also added some minced garlic because you really can never have too much garlic! The steak has enough flavor to stand on its on, so I don’t over do it with the marinade – just salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Then pan seared to a beautiful rare-medium-rare in butter and garlic. The NY strip is a great cut with enough marbeling to give it some fat, but still tender enough that you don’t have to chew for hours to finish a bit! This sandwich is great for any time – when its cold, when its warm, when you’re busy, or when you want to indulge.
- 1 NY Strip Steak
- 4 Pieces Sourdough Bread
- 2oz Gruyere Cheese
- 2 Tomatoes, Sliced
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/3 Cup Horseradish Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Mayo
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- Makes: 2 Sandwiches
- Prep time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Pat the steak dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
- Generously salt and pepper all sides of the steak.
- Pour the Worcestershire sauce on the steak and marinate.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add in the butter.
- Add the steak and sear for 3 minutes on each side.
- Reduce the heat so the steak doesn’t burn while the inside cooks to the desired temperature. Add in the garlic at this point. Cover and let the steak cook, checking frequently until it reaches desired internal temperature – for medium rare you will want to pull if off once it hits around 120 degrees Fahrenheit internally.
- Meanwhile, lets make the aioli.
- In a medium bowl, add the horseradish sauce, mayo, and minced garlic and whisk until well combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- Once the steak is almost ready – toast the bread and melt the cheese.
- Add the cheese to one side of the bread and toast in the oven until melted.
- When the steak is finished, remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Now to assemble the sandwiches – add a generous helping of aioli to the side of the bread without the cheese.
- Top with slices of tomato.
- Slice the steak and top the tomato with the steak slices.
- Top with the other piece of bread and slice the sandwich down the middle. Serve with your favorite chips and enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Steak Sandwich with Horseradish Aioli”