Any food that is fun sized just tastes better, right? Burgers are delicious, but for some reason sliders just hit better! Maybe it is the fact that you can hold them with one hand? Or eat them in two bites? Or have more than 1 and not feel guilty? Whatever the reason, you can’t go wrong with these! They are cheesy and full of flavor. The inspiration for these comes from 2 things – my love of miniature food and pleasing a crowd; and White Castle! If you have ever had White Castle, you probably know what I am referring to. They make these bite sized onion filled burgers. But one thing I do not agree on, is the taste of White Castle – sure its decent if you’re trying to soak up that 2AM drink that put you over the edge, but have you ever tried these sober…you might have a different opinion. White Castle does have a novelty effect to it though since they are far and few between. I remember trying my first White Castle burger when I was 18 on a road trip from Oklahoma to Rhode Island. My mom and I were driving me up to school and found one along the way somewhere in the Midwest -Indiana perhaps? Anyways, this recipe is much better and won’t have you regretting eating that 4th or 5th burger, unless you are lactose intolerant..these are packed with what should be an illegal amount of cheese in one burger. So wrong, but so right! Whip these up for your next event or if you’re wanting to ditch the fast food bag of burgers for the evening!
- 1lb 90/10 Ground Beef
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 3 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 6 Slices Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Cups Shredded Cheese Blend – I used Gruyere, Gouda, Smoked Mozzarella, and Caramelized Onion Cheddar – feel free to use what is in your fridge or your favorite flavors!
- 12 Slider Rolls
- Optional Toppings: Pickles, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Mayo, Mustard, Ketchup
- Makes: 12 Sliders
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the oil and diced onion. Cook the onions for 10-15 minutes until they begin to caramelize, stirring occasionally.
- While the onions cook, season lets season the meat.
- In a medium bowl add the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, dijon mustard, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Mix until well incorporated so the seasonings are evenly throughout the beef.
- Place the seasoned beef on a baking sheet, and shape in to a rectangular shape that is about the same size as the rolls – the idea of this is to make one large burger that can be cut in to 12 individual, smaller sliders.
- Place the beef in the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking, check on the onions and reduce the heat to low.
- Slice the bread in half horizontally, so you have one big bun!
- On a new sheet pan, using a wire rack to sit on top, place the bottom bun on the rack.
- First top with the cheddar cheese.
- Next add on the sautéed onions.
- Add the cooked meat on top of that.
- And finally the shredded cheese mixture.
- Place back in the oven for another 10 minutes, allowing the cheese to melt.
- Remove from the oven and place the top buns on the burger – place back in oven for 3 minutes to get the top toasted!
- Remove and cut in to 12 pieces – serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!