If you have never had fresh carbonara, I urge you to. It is one of my favorite pasta dishes to make from scratch, but it can be very time consuming. That is where this dish comes in – a dressed up, easier, asian fusion “carbonara.” It starts with easy ramen noodles that cook up in no time, combined with a salty miso paste and spicy sriracha. It still has all the classic elements of carbonara – pancetta, eggs, and pecorino – but the asian ingredients really take it up a notch. The broccoli also adds a lightness and a bite to diversify the texture in the dish – not to mention that pop of color! The hardest part to nail, as with any carbonara, is the sauce – if the heat is too high the eggs will scramble, and if its too low the sauce won’t thicken and come together. Try this for a unique twist on a delicious classic, and you will love it so much you might ditch the handmade pasta for ramen!
- 4oz Pancetta
- 2 Cups Broccoli
- 2 Instant Noodles + 1 Sauce Packet – I use the brand A-SHA Hakka Noodles because they are wide and come with a sauce packet instead of dry seasoning packet.
- 1 Cup Pecorino, Grated
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Serves: 2-3
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, heat a large pan over medium heat and add the oil. Once heated, add the pancetta and cook until the pancetta begins to brown – about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove the pancetta from the pan. Add the butter and broccoli, cover and cook until the broccoli starts to soften.
- While the broccoli cooks, lets make the sauce! In a medium bowl, add the egg yolks, ramen sauce packet, rice vinegar, miso paste, and sriracha. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the pecorino cheese to the sauce mixture and stir well.
- By this point, the water should be boiling – add the noodles and cook according to the package instructions – about 3-5 minutes for them to become soft.
- Return the pancetta to the pan with the broccoli and reduce the heat to low.
- Once the noodles are done cooking, add them to the pan and turn the heat off. Toss the noodles with the pancetta and broccoli.
- This next step you will need to work quickly so the eggs do not scramble. Add the egg-sauce mixture to the pan and continuously stir so the cheese melts and the noodles are well covered. Stir together for about 3 minutes. *If your pan is too hot, the eggs will begin to scramble. The egg sauce mixture will form a thick sauce to coat the noodles but will still be a bit runny.
- Divide between bowls and grate some fresh pecorino over the pasta. Serve and enjoy!