This recipe came together by a happy mistake! I had some leftover coconut chicken and black beans and thought lets throw some rice, avocado and lime juice on it and call it good. This flavor combination turned out so much better than I could have imagined. Now, this is not traditional Caribbean bowls, but when I think of caribbean food my head immediately goes to black beans, avocados, citrus, etc. So I wanted to capture some of those with a twist. This is a great meal prep recipe as well since all individual components can be prepped ahead of time and reheated when you want to serve!
For the Chicken:
- 1 Lb Chicken Cutlets
- 1 13.5oz Coconut Milk
- 2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 2 Limes, Juiced
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
For the Beans:
- 1 15oz Can Black Beans
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Lime, Juiced
- Sliced Avocado
- Diced Green Onions
- In a large mixing bowl, add the coconut milk, turmeric, cumin, lime juice, salt, black pepper, minced garlic, cinnamon and chili powder. Whisk to combine.
- Add in the chicken cutlets and allow to marinate for 3-4 hours. The longer you can marinate them, the more flavorful they will be.
- When you are ready to cook, heat the grill to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the grill is heating, let’s prep the black beans. In a small pot, add the beans (do not drain the liquid – pour it straight into the pot). Add in the cumin, salt and lime juice and stir. Heat the beans on medium-low heat, cover and stir occasionally until you are ready to serve.
- When the grill is hot, add the chicken and cook on each side for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked all the way through (you want the chicken to read 165 degrees Fahrenheit internally).
- Turn off the grill and remove the chicken. Allow the chicken to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing. Slice into strips once it has rested. (resting will help keep all the juices inside and the meat tender and juicy).
- To assemble, add rice to the bowl (if using), and top with ~1/4 cup of black beans, and 1 sliced chicken cutlet. Top with sliced avocado and green onions; serve and enjoy!
4 thoughts on “Coconut Caribbean Chicken Bowls”