I love fresh salmon, especially in the summer because it is such a light and refreshing meal. I am not a huge fan of fish because of textures and flavors, but salmon is one of the good ones – not too fishy and pretty mild, but still enough flavor to taste something and it usually takes on the flavors you are cooking with pretty well. We all know I am obsessed with mexican flavors and spices, so I knew I had to do a Mexican inspired salmon dish with lime juice, cumin and a splash of tequila for good measure. And of course, no dish is complete without my signature crema to go on top. I paired my dish with grilled onions for some sweetness and rice because I already had it made – but you could swap the rice for some black beans or grilled corn for even more mexican vibes. And don’t worry, you can’t taste the tequila in this recipe – it actually just adds some moisture and a hint of a smokey flavor.
For the Salmon
- 2 Salmon Filets
- 2oz Tequila
- 1 Lime, Juiced
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt + Pepper, To Taste
For the Crema:
- 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Limes, Juiced
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/3 Cup Packed Cilantro
- Salt + Pepper, To Taste
- 2 Yellow Onions, Quartered and Grilled
To Make the Crema:
- Add the greek yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, garlic cloves and salt to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a small bowl and set aside until ready to serve.
To Make the Salmon:
- In a small bowl, add the tequila, lime juice, cumin, onion powder, chili powder and garlic powder and whisk together until well combined. This should form a thick(ish) marinade.
- Next, pat the salmon completely dry with a paper towel and season all sides with salt and pepper.
- Brush the marinade on the salmon until evenly coated on all sides (except the skin side, don’t worry about coating that side).
- Set the salmon aside and allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- When you’re ready to cook, heat a pan over high heat and spray with pam to coat.
- Add the salmon to the pan, skin side down. Sear for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and carefully flip the salmon over to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Flip the salmon back over so the skin side is touching the pan, reduce the heat to low, cover and continue cooking for 8-12 minutes until the salmon is cooked through. *the time will depend on how thick your salmon is.
- Remove the salmon from the pan and serve each salmon filet alongside rice and grilled onions, if desired. Top with the crema, serve and enjoy!
7 thoughts on “Tequila Lime Salmon with Crema”
Yum! Wanna try the crema…
I hope you try it and love it!! I put it on everything!