Nothing says comfort to me like grilled cheese and tomato soup. I used to eat this when I was sick, when we had snow days, or when I just wanted something tasty. The version I ate growing up came from a can and from plastic wrapped cheese, but this recipe will still give you the nostalgia factor, just with fresh ingredients. For the soup, I roast the tomatoes to bring out their juices and flavors before blending them in to a creamy, dreamy soup! The grilled cheese is just as cheesy as those kraft singles you used to eat, but this one features a blend of 3 cheese and a buttery, crunchy sourdough. This comes together pretty quickly once you roast the tomatoes and will put a smile on everyone’s face. Make a big pot and keep it on hand for those cold days or during the week when you just don’t feel like cooking!
For the Soup:
- 2 Lbs Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Lb Campari Tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Fresh Basil, Chiffonade
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
- Salt + Pepper, To Taste
For the Grilled Cheese:
- 8 Slices Sourdough
- 1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- 1 Cup Shredded Medium Cheddar
- 1 Cup Shredded Sharp White Cheddar
- 4-6 Tbsp Butter
- Serves: 4-6
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large, oven safe dish, add the cherry and campari tomatoes. Add in the olive oil, minced garlic, 1/4 cup basil, and season generously with salt and pepper. Mix to coat the tomatoes evenly and place the dish in the oven to roast for 25 minutes.
- When the tomatoes are roasted, remove the dish from the oven. Using a slotted spoon (this will help remove any excess water/oil from roasting), transfer the tomatoes to a large pot. Gently smash the tomatoes with a the spoon.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully start blending the tomatoes until smooth. *if you do not have an immersion blender, you can blend the tomatoes in a regular blender, just be extra careful as the tomatoes can splatter and are extremely hot!
- Next, add in the heavy cream, sugar, and 2 tbsp basil to the blended tomatoes and taste to adjust the salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and heat on low until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
- Now let’s make the grilled cheese. In a medium bowl, add the 3 cheeses and stir to combine.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add in 1 tbsp of butter. Add two slices of bread and top each piece with a generous helping of shredded cheese (about 1/2-3/4 cup per piece of bread) then top with another slice of bread. Cook for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, let’s flip the grilled cheese – but you will want to add more butter before flipping, so remove the grilled cheeses from the pan, add another 1 tbsp of butter, then add the grilled cheese back to the pan uncooked side down and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Once both sides are golden, remove from the pan and slice each grilled cheese in to 4 pieces.
- Repeat steps 7-9 until all the grilled cheese have been cooked.
- Once the grilled cheeses are ready, divide the soup between 4 bowls and serve each bowl with 4 dunkers!