I know most of you probably know how to make a BLT and are familiar with what they are. But I wanted to post a delicious BLT recipe that will have you ditching what you grew up on. BLT – nothing is more classic than bacon, lettuce and tomato on white bread slathered with some mayonnaise. I am not here to make some crazy or gourmet BLT or even try to change the core of it – I am looking at you BLAT (bacon, lettuce, avocado, and tomato). But this one is a bit more pizzazz. I swap the white bread for a crusty ciabatta slathered in minced garlic and toasted first. Then I swap the basic mayonnaise for a spicy harissa mayonnaise that I found at Whole Foods. It adds a hint of spice, but so much more richness and flavor depth. Everything else remains the same – crispy bacon, fresh tomatoes, and crunchy lettuce to top if off with. Honestly BLTs are the most underrated and under appreciated sandwich of all time. THey are so simple but the combination is outstanding and makes it one of my favorite sandwiches. Now what I will say, is if you go out do not order a BLT – they are too easy to make at home to pay that much at a diner. Save your money and order that fancy or harder to make sandwich. But don’t forget the humble BLT for your lunch!
- 2 Ciabatta, Cut in to 8 Pieces (most ciabatta will only provide 4 pieces so you will need 2)
- 14 Slices Bacon
- 3 Tomatoes, Sliced
- 1 Head Romaine, Rinsed and Dried
- 8 Tbsp Harissa Mayonnaise (from Whole Foods), can sub regular mayonnaise
- 6 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- Makes: 8 Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Assembly Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the oven is preheating, place the bacon strips on a large baking sheet.
- Place the bacon in the oven and cook for 20 minutes until crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking, slice each piece of bread in half horizontally. In a small ball, mix together the olive oil and minced garlic and spread evenly on all pieces of bread.
- Place the bread, olive oil side up, on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 15 minutes until slightly toasted.
- While the bacon and bread finish cooking, prep the remaining ingredients.
- Once everything is done cooking, it is time to assemble the sandwiches.
- Spread 1 tbsp of mayonnaise on one piece of bread. Top with 2 slices of tomato, 2 pieces of bacon and 1 leaf of romaine (you will need to cut the bacon and romaine in half so they fit on the sandwich). Finally, top with another piece of bread.
- Repeat step 8 until all the sandwiches have been assembled then serve and enjoy!
4 thoughts on “Best BLT”