It is the perfect time of year for a delicious butternut squash soup and this recipe is so easy to make and will fill you up! I love this as a meal or as a side to a main. It is also perfect to make a large batch and freeze for busy weeknights when you just don’t feel like cooking. Or you can make a big batch and share with friends and family. This recipe requires so few ingredients so you don’t have to worry about having a fully stocked pantry – you just need squash, broth, milk or cream, and a few seasonings to give is some extra flavor. Butternut squash is pretty underrated – I think it is often forgot in the wintertime but it is delicious. A little nutty and sweet. This recipe requires you to roast the butternut squash before blending it. This helps bring out the flavors more and adds some color and caramelization during the roasting process. Try this for a warm, hearty meal!
- 2 Cups Butternut Squash, Cubed
- 1 Cup Whole Milk or Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Thyme
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- Salt + Pepper
- Serves: 2-3
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butternut squash, olive oil, minced garlic, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine well and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Place the squash in the oven and roast for 40-45 minutes until the inside becomes soft and the outside is slightly caramelized but not burnt.
- Remove the squash from the oven and transfer to a blender or foor processer and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the butternut squash puree to a large pot and heat over medium to low heat. Add in the milk and chicken (or vegetable) stock and whisk to combine.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the soup is heated through – if the soup is thicker than your likely, add additional stock (I recommend only adding 1/8-1/4 cup at a time) until you reach the desired thickness.
- Divide between two bowls and enjoy!
4 thoughts on “Roasted Butternut Squash Soup”