Hello Fall! I am ~falling~ in love with these bowls. That was pretty cheesy, but I just can’t stop creating and eating these bowls. Grains, vegetables, protein…what more can you want? This one is delightful – so many colors, flavors and textures. Let’s talk about kale for a minute – I am actually not a big fan of kale unless it is prepared well. When it is raw, it is like you are chewing on straw and there is little to no flavor. So why would I torture myself (and y’all) by making the base of this dish kale? Well, if you add some garlic and cook it for a few minutes then it turns in to this delicious, tender but still a bit crunchy, superfood that you will have no problems eating! Cooking it helps break it down, which makes it edible. And everything is better with garlic, right? I paired this bowl with butternut squash for a hint of sweetness, as well as cauliflower for a soft texture. This bowl is the perfect balance for a cool night. Hearty, healthy, colorful and most importantly (as always) incredibly tasty. The tahini sauce is also so creamy and the perfect addition to add more flavor. It is slightly sweet and salty and really blends well with the vegetables going on here! These bowls are also easy to prep ahead of time. You can make the grains and store in an airtight container in the fridge. You can also make the sauce ahead of time and depending on the protein you can make that as well! For easy weekday lunches and dinners these are perfect to prep some of the ingredients ahead of time and roast the vegetables right before eating!
- 4 Links Chicken Sausage (I used Garlic Herb from Trader Joe’s)
- 4 Cups Butternut Squash, Cubed
- 4 Cups Cauliflower Florets
- Shredded Kale
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa
- 6 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Lemon, Halved
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper
For the Sauce:
- 1/3 Cup Tahini
- 1/8 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Lemon, Juiced
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, add the butternut squash with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste – toss to evenly coat. Transfer the squash to a baking sheet and push to one side.
- In the same bowl, add the cauliflower florets, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp minced garlic, juice 1/2 of the lemon, and salt and pepper to taste – toss to evenly coat. Transfer the cauliflower to the other half of the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes until the veggies are soft and start to brown on the outside.
- Meanwhile, let’s make the quinoa. In a small pot, add the 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 cup of water. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes until all the water is absorbed. *When finished cooking, remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Keep covered until ready to use.
- While the quinoa is cooking, let’s make the kale and sausage. Slice the chicken sausage links at a diagonal angle. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the chicken sausage and cook, stirring occasionally until the brown – about 8-10 minutes.
- Simultaneously, in another large pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add in the kale and drizzle with 2 more tbsp of olive oil. Add 4 tbsp minced garlic and the juice of the remaining 1/2 of lemon. Stir to mix well so the kale is evenly coated. Cook the kale for 4-5 minutes just until it begins to soften (this won’t take too long). Remove from the heat and set aside until ready to serve.
- Last step we need to make the sauce. Add the tahini, soy sauce, juice of 1 lemon, honey and minced garlic and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Now to assemble – divide the ingredients between 4 bowls and drizzle with the tahini sauce!