Your mornings are about to get a lot better with these savory scones. They are filled with green onions and cheddar cheese for a delicious breakfast or afternoon snack! Scones are actually much easier to make than I anticipated and really don’t require a lot of time or effort. I love savory breakfast dishes and these savory scones are literally so good! I recently had my first savory scone at a local bakery and they were so tasty I wanted to make some myself. I love the sharp cheese and onion combination in these flakey, warm scones that will have you reaching for more. Whip these up for your weekend or for an afternoon snack with friends!
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 3 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Cold and Cubed
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1 Cup Green Onions, Diced
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Water
- Makes: 8 Scones
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Bake Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and onion powder and stir together.
- Add in the cubed butter and gently mix in the butter with a fork or your hands. You just want to break up the butter enough, but not too much,
- Add in the milk and stir to combine a shaggy dough.
- Next, add in the cheese and green onions and turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead together a few times.
- Form the dough in to a circular disc, about 1 inch thick and cut into 8 pieces.
- Transfer the pieces to a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and water and brush on to the top of the dough.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving!
6 thoughts on “Savory Scones”