Which is better, brownies or cake? Why choose when you can have a bit of both! Although this says chocolate cake recipe, it is kind of a cross between a dense, gooey brownie and a fluffy chocolate cake – best of both worlds! The bottom and outside has a delicious crunchy, gooey texture, like when you bite into a corner piece of a brownie. And the inside is fluffy and light like chocolate cake. It is loaded with chocolate chunks and chips for a chocolate explosion because there is no such thing as too much chocolate, right? It is also topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting that is not too sweet. I cannot get enough of this gooey, fudgy cake and how delicious and easy it is! You don’t even need an electric mixer for the batter – just a whisk and a little bit of elbow grease. If you are celebrating someone’s bday, need a dessert for a party, or just need a little pick me up after a long week, bake this cake for a tasty treat!
For the Cake:
- 1 3/4 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 8 oz Hot Coffee
- 2 Cups Chocolate Chips (I used 1 cup chips and 1 cup chunks)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Softened
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Makes: 1 Sheet Cake
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45-60 Minutes
- Cool Time: 60+ Minutes
- Total Time: 2 + Hours
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and well grease a 9×9 pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar – whisk together to combine.
- Add the eggs, oil, vanilla, cream and coffee and whisk together until well combined and no clumps are left.
- Add in the chocolate chips/chunks and fold in.
- Pour the cake mix in to the greased 9×9 pan and place in to the oven to bake.
- Bake for 45 minutes and check – if a toothpick comes out clean then remove from the oven, if not place back in the oven to continue cooking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool.
- While the cake is cooking, add the cream cheese and butter to a bowl and whisk on medium until creamed.
- Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar and mix on low until well combined. Add in the remaining powdered sugar and continue mixing on low.
- Scrape down the sides and add in the vanilla and mix on low until well incorporated.
- Once the cake is cooled, spread the cream cheese frosting evenly on the cake, slice and serve!