I have a hard time choosing between crispy and soft tacos. I love me a good street taco on a soft corn tortilla. But there is something about that crispy taco shell that just feels right when you bite in to it. These are kind of in the middle of the road. They have a great crisp on the outside, but still have that soft tortilla once you bite in to them, giving you the best of both worlds! I made these using an air fryer to avoid oil – because New Years Resolution and trying to be healthier – but these can totally be baked on a sheet pan in an over, or deep fried on some oil! Any way you choose to make them will be equally delicious. Upon biting in to these crispy delights, you will find soft beans, perfectly seasoned beef, and melty cheese. But, what makes these pop even more is the lime crema on the side. It adds the perfect tanginess and acid that you need for these. I mean if I’m being honest, what is a street taco without some lime juice?! Or a crispy taco without sour cream?! It’s just not the same. These tacos are also great for a party and perfect bite-sized options for everyone. You can make them in large batches and ahead of time – then when you are ready to serve, just pop them in the air fryer (or oven) for a few minutes and you’re ready to rock and roll! Try these for your next Taco Tuesday!
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1lb 90/10 Ground Beef
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 2 Cups Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- 20 Corn Tortillas, Street Taco Size
For the Lime Crema:
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/3 Cup Mayo
- 1 Lime Zested and Juiced
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- Heat a large pot over low heat and add the beans.
- Add in the cumin, salt and pepper and stir until well combined. Cover and let the beans simmer until ready to assemble – make sure to stir occasionally so they don’t burn.
- Next to make the beef filling. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add in the oil.
- Once hot, add in the onions and cook for 5 minutes until they become translucent and softened.
- Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant – 2 minutes.
- Next add in the ground beef and cook for 8-10 minutes until no pink remains.
- Drain any excess fat from the beef and add in the taco seasoning. Stir until well combined.
- Next let’s make the lime crema! In a medium bowl, add in the sour cream.
- Add in the mayo, lime zest and lime juice – whisk together until well combined.
- Now let’s assemble the crispy tacos!
- (this next step might sound odd, but trust must it’ll help the tacos from cracking). Dampen a few paper towels and wrap 4 corn tortillas in them – you will need to do this in batches. Pop them in the microwave for 30-45 seconds to warm them – they become more flexible when they are heated and the damp towels help keep the moisture to prevent them from drying out.
- Take 1 corn tortilla and place a spoonful of black beans on one side.
- Top with a spoonful of ground beef.
- Top the beef with a handful of cheese.
- Fold the tortilla over the filling.
- Repeat steps 12-15 until all the tacos are made.
- Place in the air fryer on 350 degrees for 5 minutes and then flip and place back in for another 5 minutes until the tacos are nice and crispy!
- Serve with the Lime Crema and enjoy!