This dish is perfect. Its creamy, salty and warm! This is almost reminiscent of a mac and cheese with that creamy saltiness, but the fancier adult version. It is also packed full of veggies and protein so you don’t have to feel as guilty for eating all the pasta! This dish comes together in 40 minutes, so it is a great week day alternative to take out that the entire family will love. I could eat this all day and not even be mad about it. The pesto adds a deep flavor with a punch of saltiness to really make it all come together. The mushrooms and peas help balance out the heaviness of the cream. To make this vegetarian friendly, just omit the chicken.
- 1lb Orecchiette Pasta
- 1 1/4lb Chicken Breasts
- 2 Shallots, Diced
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 16oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 Cup White Wine
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbsp Basil
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cup Peas
- 1/3 Cup Pesto
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total TIme: 40 Minutes
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add in the oil.
- Once hot, add in the shallots and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Next add in the mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes while the mushrooms begin to soften.
- Add in the wine and allow it to reduce down. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the mushrooms and wine are cooking, bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in the pasta and cook for about 5-7 minutes – you will finish cooking the pasta in the mushroom sauce so you still want it to be undercooked.
- Add in the cream, and stir until well combined.
- Next add in the basil, oregano, salt and pepper and stir together.
- Next, you will add in the peas and chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in the pesto and stir until well combined.
- Once everything has been mixed together, add in the pasta to finish cooking it in the sauce. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and serve in bowls. Top with shredded parmesan and freshly cracked pepper and enjoy!
5 thoughts on “Creamy Pesto Orecchiette”