I used to not be a big fan of chicken thighs because of the dark meat and higher fat percentage. I don’t consider myself a picky eater by any stretch of the imagination, but there are a few things I just don’t like. However, as I have matured in the recent months, chicken thighs are now on my list of will eat! I still do prefer chicken breast, but I will admit that the chicken thighs work really well with thai and asian inspired dishes and are so tender and flavorful. Marinating this overnight produces the most juicy and tender chicken and holds in the coconut and peanut flavors really well! Try this one when you want to mix it up, or maybe you aren’t a huge chicken thigh fan either and this dish just might change your mind!
For the Chicken:
- 1 Lb Chicken Thighs
- 1/2 Can Coconut Milk
- 3 Tsp Turmeric
- 6 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tbsp Minced Ginger
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Lime, Juiced
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Coriander
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Sambal Oelek
- Optional For Serving: Rice, Diced Green Onions, Pickled Carrots, Crushed Peanuts, Peanut Sauce
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients, except the chicken, and whisk until well combined.
- Add in the chicken thighs – make sure they are fully submerged in the marinade. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 60 minutes, overnight is ideal if you have the time. (You can also transfer the marinade and chicken thighs in a ziploc bag to store in the fridge).
- When you are ready to make the chicken, heat the grill to 450 degrees fahrenheit. Once the grill is hot, add the chicken thighs and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat, flip, cover the grill and continue cooking for another 8-10 minutes until the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees fahrenheit.
- Turn off the grill and remove the chicken thighs. Allow them to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Once rested, slice and serve alongside rice and pickled carrots (if desired) and top with diced green onions, crushed peanuts, and peanut sauce!