Citrusy, tender chicken thighs – this is all I need in life! These cuban inspired chicken thighs are a delicious dish to switch things up in the kitchen. The acid in the orange and lime juices keep the chicken so tender and juicy when it is finished cooking and give it such a vibrant flavor! I enjoy serving these with rice, cumin black beans and sliced avocado for the maximum flavor and texture.
For the Chicken:
- 4-5 Chicken Thighs
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/3 Cup Lime Juice + Zest of 1 Lime
- 5 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
Optional For Serving:
- Cumin Black Beans
- Sliced Avocado
- Diced Cilantro
- First we need to make the marinade. In a large bowl, whisk together the orange juice, lime juice, lime zest, minced garlic, diced cilantro, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Using paper towels, pat the chicken dry to remove any excess moisture. Add the chicken thighs to a large ziploc bag and pour the marinade over the chicken and seal well.
- Place the chicken in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- For the cooking method, I prefer to use the grill, but if it is too cold outside you can opt to cook this on the stove top. For the grill, heat the grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Once heated, add the chicken thighs (saving the marinade) and cook for 8 minutes. Flip and continue cooking for another 8 minutes. Use the extra marinade to baste the chicken while it cooks to keep it moist (use a spoon or a brush to do this).
- Cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove and turn off the grill and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Once rested, slice the chicken and serve on top of rice with black beans and avocado!