These are not those frozen (but I’ll admit good) taquitos you grab from the grocery store and heat up in the microwave, even though that makes them soggy. These taquitos are thick and fresh – honestly I don’t know if I can even classify them as taquitos because they definitely turned out thicker than anticipated. I got a little overzealous with the filling and when I started wrapping them I realized I may have stuffed them too full – oh well! These were a huge hit in my house and no leftovers in site. Crispy on the outside, filled with cheesy, juicy chicken, and black beans – warm and delicious. Even better when dunked in the crema for some tang. Another great dish for a quick snack or appetizer, but also is great for a party if you are hosting. To make these more finger food friendly, add less filling and roll tighter so people can just grab one and dunk without making a mess all over their shirt, or your house!
For the Taquitos:
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Cup Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Lime, Juiced
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 4 oz Diced Green Chiles
- 1 14.5 oz Can Black Beans
- 2-3 Cups Mexican Shredded Cheese
- 16-20 Tortillas, Medium Size, can use either Flour or Corn
- Optional: Diced Tomatoes, Shredded Lettuce, Hot Sauce
For the Crema:
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Lime, Juiced
- 1 Tbsp Milk, or Cream (whatever you have on hand is fine)
- Mix together the enchilada sauce, juice of 1 lime, minced garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add the sauce to a medium pot and add in the chicken breasts. Turn on medium and cover. Cook for 25-30 Minutes until the chicken is tender enough to shred with a fork.
- Turn off the heat, shred the chicken and add in the diced green chilis and black beans to the pot. Stir to combined.
- Next, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Time to assemble the taquitos – take 1 tortilla and add a pinch of cheese, top with 1-2 spoonfuls of the chicken, then top with another pinch of cheese. Roll the tortilla tight and place on the baking sheet. Repeat this step until all the chicken has been used.
- Place the taquitos in the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and flip then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Take the taquitos out of the oven, flip them over again and switch the oven to the broil setting. Place them back in the oven on broil for 4 minutes.
- While the taquitos are cooking, prep the cream. In a bowl whisk together the sour cream, lime juice and milk until smooth and set aside.
- When the taquitos are done, remove from the oven and serve with the crema! You can also top with diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce if desired.
6 thoughts on “Chicken Taquitos”