Who doesn’t love an easy dinner? If you said no, then I don’t believe you. As much as I love cooking and being in the kitchen, there are days where I just want something I can cook quickly that is still wholesome and tastes delicious! This is one of those dishes – it comes together fairly quick and doesn’t require a lot of prep or intimidating techniques in the kitchen. Just cook some rice, make a quick sauce, and saute some veggies and shrimp together for an easy, protein and veggie packed meal. Although this recipe says it takes 45 minutes, the majority of that time is letting the vegetables cook so it removes most of the water and leaves you with the deliciousness. If shrimp is not your thing, you could easily swap for chicken, beef, pork, or more vegetables – put keep in mind the protein you choose may result in a longer cooking time! I love this dish not only because of the easiness (like I mentioned above), but the flavors are incredible – the sauce is slightly spicy, sweet, and tangy. Then you have different textures that explode in your mouth like a symphony – the zucchini still has a bite, while the mushrooms are soft and tender. Make this when you need something different from the typical weeknight dinner.
- 1lb Shrimp, peeled + tails removed
- 2 Zucchini, diced into 2″ long pieces
- 8oz White Mushrooms, quartered
- 3 Green Onions, chopped into 1″ piece
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Sambal Oelek
- 1 Cup Jasmine Rice, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Oil (can substitute for sesame oil, olive oil, avocado oil, vegetable oil)
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
For the Sauce:
- 1 Tbsp Sambal Oelek
- 3 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Hoisin
- 2 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 1 Tbsp Minced Ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
- Start by making the sauce – add all the ingredients under “Sauce” to a medium bowl and whisk until well combined – set aside until ready to use.
- Let’s make the rice – in a medium pot, add 2 cups of water and the jasmine rice. Heat on low to medium and cover. Allow the rice to cook for about 20 minutes, or until fully cooked and fluffy. Once the rice is cooked, remove from the heat, fluff with a fork, and cover until ready to serve.
- While the rice is cooking – lets make the stir fry!
- In a large pan heat the peanut oil over medium to high heat. When it’s hot, add the zucchini and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes. Next, add in the sambal oelek and the garlic and continue cooking for another 8-10 minutes until the zucchini starts to soften.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Next, turn the heat to high and add in half of the sauce you made earlier and the green onions. Allow to cook for another 5-8 minutes until the water cooks out and the sauce starts to thicken up.
- Finally, reduce the heat back to medium and add in the remaining sauce and the shrimp. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until the shrimp is cooked through. When the shrimp is fully cooked, turn off the heat and remove.
- Divide the rice between 4 bowls and top with shrimp zucchini stir fry and serve!
6 thoughts on “Shrimp + Veggie Stir Fry”