Mexican food is a staple in our house. It is so versatile and offers so many dishes. It is also pretty much always guaranteed to be flavorful, I mean – meat, cheese, beans and salsa in some combination is always delicious! I feel that is it always pretty quick to whip up and keeps everyone happy and satisfied. This burrito bowl serves up all the taste, just in bowl form without the mess. Think of this like Chipotle but WAY better! In this recipe I swapped regular rice for Cilantro RightRice. RightRice is a “rice” made from vegetables, so it packs more nutrients than white rice but feel free to use regular rice. Skip the Chipotle and make this instead – your family won’t even know the difference! This recipe is also totally customizable – you can whip up the elements and let everyone assemble their own which will get everyone involved so they will enjoy the dish even more.
- 1 Yellow Onion, Sliced
- 1 Package Pollo Asado (from Trader Joes)
- 1 Can Refried Beans, or Black Beans
- 1 Can Diced Hatch Green Chilis
- 1 Bag Cilantro RightRice (can also use regular rice)
- 1/3 Cup Red Enchilada Sauce (Optional)
- Optional Toppings: Jalapeños, Cheese, Cherry Tomatoes, Roasted Corn, Salsa, Avocado, Pickled Onions
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Juice of 2 Limes
- Serves: 3-4
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- Place the chicken, hatch chilis, and enchilada sauce in an Instant Pot (or pressure cooker) and cook on high for 30 minutes. When the chicken is done, shred with a fork and set aside until ready to assemble.
- While the chicken is cooking – prep the remaining ingredients.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Once hot, add in the onions and sauté until they are beginning to caramelize – about 10-12 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally so they do not burn.
- Cook the rice according to the instructions. If you are using RightRice the instructions will be on the bag as it is slightly different than regular rice. If you opt for regular rice, follow a 2:1 (water:rice) ratio and cook in a covered to for about 20 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the beans to a small pot, cover, and heat on low to warm the beans through.
- To make the Lime Crema – add the sour cream to a medium bowl and the juice of 2 limes. Gently whisk together until the lime juice is completely incorporated.
- Prep any additional toppings you want – slice the tomatoes, slice the jalapeños, warm the corn, etc.
- Once everything is cooked and heated it is time for assembly! This does not have to be pretty, but it will be delicious. Add the rice to the bottom of the bowl, top with the chicken, beans, sautéed onions and any other toppings. Lastly, drizzle on the lime crema and serve!
6 thoughts on “Chicken Burrito Bowls”
Lots of flavor here.
Oh yes! So many colors too – its delicious! I hope you try it!
LikeLiked by 1 person