Tacos are one of my favorite foods – there are so many ways to customize them and change the flavor profile. I mean, you have beef, chicken, pork, crunchy, soft, spicy..the list goes on and on. And that is before I even start talking about toppings – onions, cilantro, salsa, avocado, cheese..well you get the idea! While tacos are a fairly easy food to make, they do require some assembly and can be somewhat messy. Enter the taco bowl! A creation that allows you to eat a taco, without assembly or the mess. Inspiration from this comes from the walking taco, but do you really always want to eat a taco out of a chip bag? Personally, I do not! This is also not a taco salad because you will see no lettuce in the base of this recipe – feel free to add some on top, but we will save the taco salad for a ~healthier~ day. This comes together so quickly, that I even shocked myself making it at how fast I was done. 30 minutes is very generous for this dish, so if you are short on time, but still want a delicious home-cooked meal – this is the recipe for you!
- 1lb 85/15 Ground Beef
- 1/2 Onion, Diced
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 10oz Black Beans
- 10oz Refried Black Beans
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Lime, Juiced
- Optional Toppings: Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream, Salsa, Diced Onions, Tortilla Chips, Lime, Avocado or Guacamole, Lettuce
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- First you will want to simmer the beans. Add the whole beans and the refried beans to a medium pot and heat over low.
- Add in the cumin, salt, pepper, and lime juice and mix well to combined.
- Cover the beans and let them simmer while you cook the meat, stirring occasionally.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add in the oil.
- Once heated, add the onions and cook until they begin to soften – about 5 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef and garlic. Cook until the meat has no more pink spots.
- Drain any excess oil from the meat and add in the taco seasoning. Stir well to combine.
- Remove the meat and beans from the heat and time to assemble the bowls!
- To assemble, portion out the meat and beans between 4 bowls and add your favorite toppings! Serve and enjoy!