Missing the Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell? Well I have good news for you! I have made a version that is VERY close to the original. I had a few die-hard Tbell fans try it to make sure I got it right. Their verdict? 9/10 to the original – the only criticism was on the tortillas. They were just a bit more crispy than the original, but the flavor was ON POINT! So if you’re looking for a replica to satisfy that craving, this will definitely hit the spot! Unfortunately, Taco Bell has no current plans to bring back the Mexican Pizza, so this will have to do in the meantime… but honestly, I think this one is better than the original, but I am biased.
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1lb 90/10 Ground Beef
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 Cans Refried Pinto Beans
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 4 Roma Tomatoes, Diced
- 1 Cup Pizza Sauce
- 2 Cups Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
- 8 Tostadas
- Optional Toppings: Sour Cream, Avocado, Taco Bell Sauce, Lettuce, Diced Onions
- Makes: 4 Pizzas
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Heat a large pot over low heat and add both cans of the beans.
- Add in the cumin, salt and pepper and stir until well mixed.
- Cover and keep on low heat, stirring occasionally until ready to serve.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add in the oil.
- Once hot, add in the diced onions and cook for 5 minutes until they become translucent and softened.
- Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant – about 2 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef and cook through – about 8-10 minutes.
- Once the beef is fully cooked through, drain any excess fat.
- Add in the taco seasoning and stir until well combined.
- Time to assemble!
- Take one tostada and add beans on top – about 1/2 cup – and spread evenly on the surface.
- On top of the beans, add the ground beef.
- Next, top the beef with another tostada.
- Add 1/4 cup pizza sauce to the tostada and spread evenly.
- On top of the pizza sauce, add 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Place in the microwave for 1 minute, until the cheese is melty.
- Lastly, add a handful of diced tomatoes on top!
- Repeat steps 11-17 until all the pizzas have been made.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!