Looking for a warm, creamy dish that just happens to pack some serious vegetables? This sauce is made with butternut squash and will fool even the pickiest eaters – seriously it is that good! The squash has a slightly sweet flavor to it, so you won’t believe you are eating veggies. I have also managed to sneak in some spinach in this recipe for an extra serving of greens! This recipe would also be a great vegetarian alternative, just skip adding the chicken sausage – you could replace it with tofu or skip it all together! The gnocchi and sauce are decadent all on their own and don’t need much else.
- 1 1/2 Cups Cubed Butternut Squash
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Broth, Vegetable or Chicken
- 1/4 Cup Marscapone
- 1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Basil
- 1 Tsp Salt, plus more for roasting
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper, plus more for roasting
- 2 Cups Spinach
- 1lb Gnocchi
- 4 Links Chicken Sausage
- Serves: 4-6
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
- Heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Arrange the butternut squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and mix well to combine. Spread out on the baking sheet to not overcrowd.
- In a corner of the baking sheet, add the garlic and drizzle with a small about of olive oil. Place the squash and garlic in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep any other ingredients – such as dicing the onion, slicing the sausages in to 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the wine and onions. Cook about 10 minutes until the onions are softened and the wine has been absorbed.
- Once the onions are finished cooking, add them to a blender.
- Drizzle about a tbsp of oil in the pan and add the chicken sausage. Cook until they begin to brown.
- Once the sausages start to brown, remove them on a plate and set aside. Turn the heat off.
- When the squash is done roasting, add the squash and garlic to the blender with the onions. Blend on low until well incorporated.
- Add the cream and broth to the blender and continue mixing until the sauce is smooth.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, return the earlier pan to the stove and turn to low heat. Pour in the squash sauce.
- Add the basil, oregano, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and the parmesan and stir until combined.
- Add in the spinach and allow the spinach to cook for about 5 minutes.
- At this point, the water should be boiling – add the gnocchi and cook according to the package – mine only took 3-5 minutes.
- Once the gnocchi are cooked add them to the sauce and the sausage. Stir until well combined. Divide between bowls and top with some extra parmesan and red chili pepper flakes and enjoy!
STEP 1 & 2
2 thoughts on “Creamy Butternut Squash Sauce with Gnocchi”