This is comfort in a bowl. Ditch your chipotle bowl and make this at home instead and you can enjoy it all week! Perfect for meal prepping and you can switch up the toppings for a different take each night. The chicken is so tender with a slight kick of heat from the chipotles. Mash up an avocado with a squeeze of lime and pinch of salt for some quick guacamole to go alongside. This is another “leave it in the pot all day, have a tasty meal at the end of the day” dish.
For the Chicken:
- 4 Chicken Breasts (about 1.5-2lbs)
- 1 Cup Salsa Verde
- 1 Cup Red Enchilada Sauce
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Chipotles in Adobo Sauce, Finely Diced + 2 Tsp Adobo Sauce
- 6 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 3 Poblanos, Diced
- 16oz Great Northern Beans, Drained
- 2 Cups Cooked Jasmine Rice
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 4-5 Cups Shredded Romaine
- 1 Bunch Cilantro, Finely Chopped
- Optional for Topping: Greek Yogurt, Guacamole, Diced Onions, Jalapenos
- Heat a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add in the diced poblanos, chicken broth, enchilada sauce, salsa verde, lime juice, seasonings, chipotles and the adobo sauce and minced garlic. Bring to a simmer.
- When the broth is simmering, add in the chicken breasts and make sure they are fully submerged (if not, top off with more chicken broth). Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the lid and cook for another hour. At this point, check the chicken to see if it easily shreds. If the chicken isn’t tender, cover and cook for another hour on low.
- Turn off the heat, and gently shred the chicken. Add in the great northern beans and about half of the chopped cilantro and stir together. Keep covered until ready to serve.
- To assemble the bowl, add a generous spoonful of rice to the bottom of each bowl. Top with the chicken and add the romaine lettuce and mozzarella cheese. Add a handful of the cilantro and top with any additional ingredients!
6 thoughts on “Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls”
Yummmm and Easy to prepare