This recipe is perfect for a weekend breakfast when you want something delicious and not too time consuming. These muffins are full of fresh blackberries and pistachios which give them a nutty, slightly sweet, slightly tart flavor profile. I also love the texture of these with the finely chopped pistachios that give them just a bit of a crunch when you bite in! They are also topped with an incredible crumble topping that will have your friends and family drooling and reaching for more. I haven’t baked from scratch in a while, but wanted to mix it up and do something fun – I also have blackberries and leftover pistachios from another recipe – I am very big on not throwing away ingredients, it also helps me be more creative in the kitchen. Sometimes that creativity doesn’t work out, but sometimes it turns out even better – like these muffins! These are also great to make ahead for the week, just store them in an airtight container and they will last for 3-4 days. The blackberries give these muffins a wonderful purple color and also help to keep them moist, even days later. Whip up a batch of these for weekend brunch or a quick grab and go for the busy work week and let me know what you think!
- 1.5 Cups Flour
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
- 1.5 Cups Blackberries, chopped (I roughly chopped mine for two reasons. a) this will more evenly distribute the blackberries and b) the juices that are released give the muffin batter a beautiful purple color).
- 1/3 Cup Finely Chopped Pistachios + more for topping
For the Crumble
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 2 Tbsp Butter, Room Temperature
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 25 Minutes
- Makes: 18 Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2 cupcake trays – you can either use paper liners or grease them well.
- First, let’s make the crumble topping – add the 1/3c flour, 1/3c sugar, and 2tbsp butter to a bowl. Using your hands, mix the ingredients together until it forms a crumble that will feel like the consistency of sand.
- Now for the muffin mix.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Next add in the eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla and continue mixing until smooth.
- Gently fold in the blackberries and pistachios to the batter.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake trays (makes about 18 muffins) and top off with the crumble and sprinkle some additional pistachios on top.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and insert a toothpick to make sure they are completely cooked through (the toothpick should come out clean, aside for some potential berry juice).
- Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool before serving!
3 thoughts on “Blackberry Pistachio Muffins”