Cheesy, melty, gooey – are just a few words to describe these potatoes! They are packed full of flavor, warmth and of course cheese. These potatoes are so rich and perfect for a cold night! Cheesy might be an understatement – this dish cooks the potatoes in an indulgent cheese sauce before topping them with even more cheese! You might want to do a few extra reps at the gym before diving in to this recipe because it is not exactly the *healthiest*..but calories don’t count when it tastes so good, right? Skip the take-out and make these decadent potatoes alongside your favorite dish – like a nice steak or chicken..and maybe some veggies, just to offset all the cream and cheese!
- 6 Golden Yukon Potatoes
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Broth, vegetable or chicken
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Basil
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 4 Cups White Cheddar, Shredded. I used an Aged Cheddar with Jameson from Whole Foods.
- Serves: 6-8
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 Hour and 25 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse and dry the potatoes then slice and set aside. You want to slice them thin – you can either use a sharp knife or a mandolin for more consistent results.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook until translucent – about 3-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant – about 2 minutes.
- Add the butter and allow to fully melt. Once the butter is fully melted, add in the flour and stir until well combined.
- Add in the milk, heavy cream and broth. Stir continuously until the sauce starts to thicken – about 10 minutes.
- Once the sauce has started to thicken, reduce to low heat and add in the salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Stir until well combined.
- Next, add in about 3 cups of the cheese – you will want to save about 1 cup to top the potatoes with. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Once the cheese is melted, turn off the heat and remove.
- Now it is time for assembly!
- In a deep casserole dish, add a single layer of the potatoes.
- Top with a small portion of the cheese sauce – you want just enough to cover the potato layer.
- Repeat step 11 and 13 until the dish is full. On the last layer, pour all of the remaining cheese sauce on the potatoes.
- Place dish in the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove and top with the remaining cheese you set aside earlier. Place back in the oven and cook for another 10 minutes until the cheese on top is melted and begins to bubble.
- Once the cheese on top is melty, remove from the oven and allow the potatoes to cool and set for about 15minutes. Once set, serve and enjoy!